My name is Michal Ruprecht and I am an 18-year-old soaring college freshman at . My hometown is Queens, New York. Although I was born in America I am bilingual, speaking both English and Polish. In the future I hope to become trilingual and add Spanish to my list. I have a passion for medicine, science, technology, journalism, music, baking and cooking, travel, and swimming.
● Synthesis of "three-legged" tri-dentate podand ligands incorporating long-chain aliphatic moieties, for water remediators, and for isolating metal ions in non-aqueous solution
Grosse Pointe North High School, Grosse Pointe, MI
SEPTEMBER 2014 - JUNE 2018
● Positively sloping GPA. Cumulative GPA of 4.21.
● Member of the National Honors Society chapter at GPN HS.
● Multiple AP courses sophomore through senior year. 10 credits in 4 years.
Editor-at-Large — North Pointe Newspaper
MARCH 2015 - PRESENT
Solved production problems, assigned stories, designed and edited pages, wrote and edited stories, served on the Editorial Board, sold ads, and trained staff.
Lifeguard — Grosse Pointe Shores Park
MAY 2016 - PRESENT
Cleaned, watched patrons, assisted swimmers at meets, and kept up on skills and fitness. Lifesaving and CPR certified by Red Cross.
Research Assistant — Wayne State University School of Medicine
Performed DNA isolation and determined DNA concentration of mice tails using spectrophotometer and PCR, and found genotype of mice with agarose gel electrophoresis. Supervised by Dr. Shunbin Xu.
Research Assistant — University of Detroit Mercy
Investigated ligands that could pull metal ions out of aqueous solution. Presented the research project at the ACS Chemistry Regional Conference being the only high school group. Supervised by Dr. Mark Benvenuto.
President and officer — GPN HS Chemistry Club and Health Career Investigations Club
Restored struggling clubs, grew membership by 233% and number of projects by 300%, created social media presence and websites, and set clubs up for continued success. Presented at numerous events.
Volunteer tutor — GPN HS and Private Home
Over 61 hours of volunteer tutoring K-12 students.
Volunteer and shadower — St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit
Over 98 hours of volunteering in the Emergency Department and shadowing physicians and PAs in seven specialities.
Team America Rocketry Challenge Participant
Led team to design, construct, and successfully launch model rocket to 800 feet and return two uncracked raw hen eggs using an Aerotech engine.
National Chemistry Olympiad Participant
Led team of students to prepare for and took the local exam at the University of Michigan-Dearborn.
Violin Player — GPN HS and Grosse Pointe Symphony Orchestras
Played advanced music along with professional musicians and participated in seasonal Grosse Pointe Symphony Orchestra Concerts. Performed with GPN HS Symphony Orchestra freshman year.
Swimmer — GPN HS Varsity Team, GP Gators Swim Club, and GP Shores Sharks
Assisted coaches with time management by ushering young swimmers during meets.
● "Green Chemistry Education: Recent Developments," the fourth volume of "Green Chemical Processing” contributing author
● American Chemistry Society CIBA Travel Award for Green Chemistry Research (first high schooler recipient)
● Network of Educators in Science and Technology Student Award from Massachusetts Institute of Technology
● AP Scholar with Distinction Award
● Spanish Student of the Year Award
● ACT National Career Readiness Gold Level Certificate
● Steven Kosmas, chemistry teacher at GPN HS
● Susan Speirs, biology teacher at GPN HS
● Shari Adwers, journalism adviser at GPN HS
● Dr. Shunbin Xu, Professor of Anatomy and Cell Biology at Wayne State University School of Medicine
● Dr. Mark Benvenuto, Chemistry Department Chair at the University of Detroit Mercy
● Brian White, counselor at GPN HS
In the news
● Letter of Recognition from the United States Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos.